Pumpkin Pie with Home Made Crust
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 (15 ounce) can 100% pumpkin puree
1 (12 ounce) can Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl.
3. Beat eggs in large bowl.
4. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture.
5. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
6. Pour mixture into pie shell.
7. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
10. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
11. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Top with Whipped Cream.
Do not overcook; overcooking leads to pie cracking in the middle.
Try to bake the day you will serve the pie. Cooking in advance can make the crust soggy. If you have to bake a day before serving, pop the pie in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes and it should bring the crust back to life!
To use fresh pumpkin, preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Wash, and halve pie pumpkin. Scoop out seeds. Place pumpkin halves cut side down in baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until pumpkins are soft to the touch. Remove from oven, and let cool. Scrape out pumpkin meat, and puree in food processor or blender. (This can be done several weeks in advance and the puree stored in the freezer.)
****GOTO NEXT RECIPE FOR THE PIE CRUST****
Prep. time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Ready in: 1:10
Author: Chef Allan Arkin