Number of Servings: 4
Biscuits & Sausage Gravy
2 1/2 tsp
Hot Turkey Sausage
onion finely chopped
Hot Pepper Sauce
Double-acting baking powder
#1 If you want to save time, you can purchase Pillsbury biscuits and bake according to package directions.
#2 If you don't have a food processor, you can cut the butter into small bits and stir them into the dry ingredients, using your finger tips to make sure its well combined. (Note: A pastry cutter works just as well as my fingers and lot less messy.)
Author: Chef Allan Arkin
1. Cook sausage in the microwave oven on high for 3 minutes or until cooked.
2. Remove the skin from
the sausage and chop into small chunks.
3. Place sausage and the chopped onion into a small sauce pan with oil and cook until
the onions are soft and transparent (about 4 minutes)
4. Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir to coat.
Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring until flour forms a golden-brown crust on the bottom of the pot (about 3 minutes)
Add milk, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce.
7. Continue stirring until thickened,
about 5 minutes, scraping up and incorporating the browned crust from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, Combine all the dry ingredients. Place some of the dry ingredients
into a Food Processor with the chopping blade. Add the hard butter and process till the butter is made into small balls within
the flour mixture (a very short time). Return all dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Next, slowly add
the milk to the mixture while stirring continually. Once the milk has been added, knead the dough for one minute until smooth.
Roll the dough out to a half inch thickness. Cut into squares and place on a dry cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet
on the middle shelf. Bake for 12 minutes.
4. To serve, split biscuits crosswise and place on individual plates. Ladle
hot sausage gravy over biscuits and serve immediately.