Chili with Ground Beef & Kidney Beans
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour
Author: Chef Allan Arkin
1 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, large
2 tomatoes, large
1/2 cup coffee, reduced to 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 jalapeño, diced
15 oz canned kidney beans
15 oz canned tomatoes sauce
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
1. In a small pot, reduce coffee to 1/2 cup.
2. In a medium pot, boil water and add tomatoes. Boil for five minutes. Remove from the water and place in bowl filled with ice and water. After a short while, remove the loose skin. Dice the tomatoes and set aside.
3. Brown diced onions in olive oil then set aside.
4. Brown meat. Remove excess fat / oil by inserting a paper towel into the pot with the meat and swishing it around using a wood or plastic spoon. Use additional towels if necessary. When done, discard the towel.
5. In a medium pot, add all ingredients include the juice from the canned kidney beans. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. Stir every five to ten minutes.
Plate in a soup bowl and serve with biscuits. You will find the biscuits recipe on my website under biscuits and gravy. Make only the biscuits and not the gravy.
If you would like, sprinkle some chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese on top and serve.